Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Most ANNOYING Childrens Programming...EVER!

While reading a fellow bloggers entry the other day (Ashley...Unscripted. I LOVE her blog! If you want to read it, the link is on the right hand side of the page), I decided to EXPAND on the snippet she put in her blog. She stated that the Doodlebops were creepy. Ummmm....it's not only the DOODLEBOPS!!! There are MANY weird and creepy shows out there AIMED at toddlers and preschoolers. There will be no specific order to these...these are ALL shows that are disturbing to us adults. There will be a picture along with a link (for your enjoyment). I would encourage you to click on the link. If you have small children and have NO idea what you are in for...you will THANK me for posting this!

THE DOODLEBOPS



















http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzULIsy6uio

Characters: Dee Dee, Moe and Roonie.

Basis of the show: Three goofy characters that are in a "rock" band. The girl doesn't do anything special (except sing), Moe likes to hide (drummer), and Roonie is an inventor.

Annoyance Factor: EXTREMELY HIGH

I'm starting with this one just because I mentioned it at the beginning of this blog. I've watched this show a FEW times. I've watched it with Triscuit (who actually LIKED it) and with Toblerone (who didn't like it all that much...THANK GOD). It's just a weird show....and they ARE a bit creepy. It's a show that is based around music (of course) and there is no "race" factor (which is the whole idea behind the funky make-up). Look at their facial expressions in the picture AND in the video link. THAT right there is enough to make you feel a little queasy.


As soon as I hear the opening song...it takes me less than 2 seconds to change the channel!

THE TELETUBBIES













http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiaLOzP1lCA

Characters: Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa Laa and Po.

Basis of the show: I have yet to figure that one out.

Annoyance Factor: EXTREMELY HIGH

I think this picture pretty much says it all...but I will elaborate anyway. Yes...I know that this particular show is geared more towards babies/toddlers. Children that young learn by repetition...but that little fact doesn't make it any easier on the parent(s). I know that I'm being a little selfish here and maybe a little judgemental, but COME ON! Watch it for yourself...it's ANNOYING and bizarre!!! Their voices....BAH! This will catch Toblerone's eye for about 10 seconds...after that, he will ask for something else (like OTCH).

YO GABBA GABBA
















http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9PqjMSNfkU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41gr2brITLg

Characters: Plex, Muno, DJ Lance (The guy in orange), TooDee, Brobee, Foofa


Basis of the show: Saying "Yo Gabba Gabba" brings these little action figures to life. Then, they interact with each other like school age children normally do. Cut in front of each other, eat food that's dropped on the floor, and not wanting to try new foods. Yes...there is ALWAYS a song that co-insides with the lesson being taught...in HIP HOP form.

Annoyance Factor: HIGH

OK...I've pasted TWO links. The first one is just a funny one to watch. It's of Elijah Wood (Frodo from Lord of the Rings) dancing and singing "Puppetmaster". I laughed so hard I about peed myself! The second link is just to give you an idea of the show. OHHHH....where do I start with THIS one? As with MOST of these shows, it's based on music. But if you DO NOT enjoy hip hop/rap...you will NOT like this (and I detest hip hop). DJ Lance is the goofiest character on this show. At the end of the show, there is a musical wrap-up. DJ Lance dances around like a fool during the musical montage. Unfortunately for me, this is one of Toblerone's favorites! I don't know what it is about the show that is SO freakin' entertaining, but Toblerone will sit there and watch in amazement.

Needless to say, my headache starts to go away after this show is over.

HIP HOP HARRY


















http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUBdVtvEgQc

Characters: A bunch of kids and this huge bear who's name is Hip Hop Harry

Basis of the show: Honestly, I don't have a clue. I can't bring myself to watch it long enough to figure it out.

Annoyance Level: EXTREMELY FREAKIN' HIGH

As you can see from the photo, it's geared towards the OLDER kids. That means TRISCUITS age. And guess who LIKES this program??? You guessed it. TRISCUIT. And, as you can tell from the title, it's ALL ABOUT MUSIC (Hip Hop to be exact). Since I detest Hip Hop, you can imagine my face and excitement level when this comes on. Check out the link. I wouldn't suggest this show for kids with ADD/ADHD. This bear (or whatever he is) needs some Ritalin or Adderall, himself. My face will slowly go from happy to frown as the show progresses. I just want to yell, "STAND STILL YOU STUPID BEAR!" Bugs the CRAP out of me!

LAZYTOWN



















http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bCXyPeE6vI

Characters: Sportacus (human hero), Stephanie (human with pink hair), Robbie Rotten (human villain). The rest of the characters are puppets. I'm not going to take the time to name them...not worth it.

Basis of the show: This show was/is created in Iceland. It's a show about a town CALLED Lazytown. Before STEPHANIE got there, it was a town with children who did nothing but stay indoors, play video games and eat sugar (I think it's aimed at Americans). When she came to town, she inspired the lot to get busy. That made the villain of the story angry. His attitude is that of an old man. He doesn't like children and will do ANYTHING to keep them out of his hair. The hero of the story is Sportacus. He's a gymnast and does nothing but flip around like a gymnast does.

Annoyance Factor: HIGH

This used to be one of Triscuits favorites when he was 5. Toblerone has attempted to watch it, but he doesn't seem to like it all that much. The show is very...different. They attempt to make the humans look cartoonish while the puppets just look creepy. They are made of HARD plastic and when their mouths move, they just look stiff. Too bad Jim Henson couldn't have passed his brilliance on to the rest of the puppet makers.

I'm glad my children don't like this show!

BOOHBAH
















http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6656BvmmiI

Characters: Humbah, Zumbah, Zing Zing Zingbah, Jumbah, Jingbah

Basis of the show: I have NO freakin' clue. I keep asking myself, "WHY?!?!?!?! WHY would ANYONE put this on TV?"

Annoyance Factor: The HIGHEST on the freakin' scale!

This show has got to be the weirdest, the creepiest and the most BIZARRE thing on the TV! If you watch the link, you can see these little blobs in action. Toblerone LOVES this show! Why? I wish I knew! He sits there with his mouth open (gathering flies) while this program is on. What is so fascinating? They look like rather plump people trying to dance. I just don't get it!!!!

In all seriousness...I know that these shows have a purpose. I guess it's for our CHILDREN to figure out...not us adults! I love my children and want them to be happy, and if that means I have to watch these shows WITH them, I will do it. BUT...it doesn't mean I have to enjoy it!

6 comments:

Coolerboy said...

I've never understood the Teletubbies either. I've known people who swore that the Teletubbies and Spongebob were both great shows to get stoned and watch. I can't vouch for that. Before we had Destructo, we visited some friends whose kids loved Lazytown. While it kind of makes more sense than the Teletubbies or Spongebob, the plastic people were creepy. Right now Destructo is only interested in Sesame Street, which is tolerable. I wish I could say the shows I watched as a kid were better, but with the exception of Sesame Street(which I think used to be better) and the Electric Company (long gone). I recently watched a few reruns of the old Superfriends on Boomerang, and they were pretty bad. Granted the women weren't dressed like hookers and even Superman had a realistic body, but the supervillans were pathetic. One of the supervillans actually stole the prize from the local county fair hog contest. You would think a crime at that level would warrant maybe the Wonder Twins or Scooby Doo, but no, Superman saved the day. Same goes for the Smurgs, the Snorks, Richie Rich, G Force (or Battle of the Planets), Voltron, Speed Racer..., etc. Most of the Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, and even Woody Woodpecker cartoons would probably still be funny if I hadn't seen them a million times.

Coolerboy said...

Maybe we'll just have to get rid of our tv's before Destructo knows what he's missing!

kbd224 said...

The only one that my kids watch is Yo Gabba Gabba. It's the only one that I can even tolerate so I don't even tell them when the others are on!

Ashley. Unscripted... said...

Now I will fall asleep with the Doodlebops image in my mind. LOL

Wee One loves the Teletubbies, it drives Husband INSANE.

I agree with your others as well. Have you ever seen The Soup do Hip Hop Harry? I'll have to find you a link. HILARIOUS.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add Johnny and the sprites. I have never actually watched the whole program due to the fact that a grown man singing and dancing with puppets really creeps me out!

Anonymous said...

This is soooo funny! My daughter enjoyed the doodlebops for about a show or two. I don't let her watch the teletubbies (they freak me right out) or yo gaba gaba (seriously--that is a tv show? They get money for that garbage?) Some of the others you listed I am not familiar with (thank God!). I am ok with Lazytown--it looks strange but the thoughts behind it are good. ;) And one of your comments mentioned Johny and the Sprites--My daughter LOVED that show. I think it was her first crush. It was strange but still 'nice' I guess. I don't let her watch Sesame Street either--could they hop around from topic to topic any more than they dO? I have attention problems after watching it! :0- Thanks for the great blog!
xo daisy