Thursday, February 12, 2009

SUCCESS!!!

Now that Triscuit is on the medication, he is doing SO much better! I'm IMPRESSED!

The beginning of the week was a little difficult. The side effects from Dexedrine are headache, stomach ache (often them feeling full and not hungry at all) and sleeplessness. Triscuit had ALL of those, poor baby, but he stuck it out and is now doing much better. We saw an immediate difference in his ability to sit still. On Sunday, when we went to the in-laws, he sat down and played chess with one of his uncles. I don't think I've ever seen him sit still for longer than 20 minutes. He sat there for a good hour (I believe it may have been longer) and concentrated on the game! I was SO happy! But the real test was school. I wondered if it would carry over to the next day.

Monday came and I wasn't going to expect too much of him. He had only slept for about 5 hours the night before, so he tired out really easy. We got through about 2 and 1/2 hours of school before he actually ASKED me if he could take a nap (that's unheard of coming from Triscuit). Tuesday was a rough day because he had Scantron testing to complete. I had him take the reading portion first (the most difficult for him). He FREAKED! "But Mom, it's too long! I can't do this!" He WAS able to sit still, but again, because of his short attention span, he would get half way through the story and then do the questions. Needless to say, he got about 18 wrong out of 26 questions. Once he saw his score, he had a meltdown. It seemed like it took me forever to calm him down and explain to him what the purpose of the testing was. He wasn't happy. He actually said, "Mom...will Mrs. L still be proud of me?" (Mrs. L is his degreed teacher. He REALLY cares what she thinks). I had to assure him all would be fine. The second portion of the test was math. As soon as he hears the "M" word, he usually tries to argue his way OUT of doing it. This time was different. He sat down and did it...WITHOUT an argument. He was still trying to get me to help him, but after about the third time that I said, "No Triscuit...Mommy can't help you", he got it through his head. He got a 75% on that portion! Then, today, he sat down, focused on his work and got it DONE! I was SO happy and SO impressed with him! He seems to be trying a LOT harder, too!

Because he has been doing so well and trying so hard, Weenie went out and got him a new Lego set. He got the set about 45 minutes ago. He's been sitting there NOT moving and TOTALLY silent! It's just AMAZING to see such a night and day difference in the area of "spaziness".

I took a few pictures. He looked like such a grown up sitting at the table, concentrating on putting his Lego's together!

Then, as soon as Toblerone saw Triscuit sitting there working with his Lego's, TOBLERONE had to get in on the big boy action, too!


I have faith that this won't be the ONLY week Triscuit will do well, but regardless, I will keep you all posted!
Again, I want to thank those of you who have been there for us! MUCH appreciated!!!

1 comment:

kbd224 said...

YAY!! I'm so happy for you! I hope he keeps up the good work!