Sunday, November 2, 2008

New Phrases

With a title like that, I'm sure you're thinking "This has to be about Toblerone." Umm...no. Try again.

This year in school, Triscuit is learning a BUNCH of new words (as well as learning how to spell). Last Friday (before Trick or Treating), Triscuit was doing his Title 1 program through Compass Learning (computer based reading and phonics program). Defect was ONE of the words.

After Trick or Treating, we were sitting around in front of my sisters house talking with her and some other friends. It has been 4 months since they (the friends) had seen the boys and were commenting on just how BIG they had gotten. One person was flabbergasted while looking at Toblerone. All the sudden we hear:

Triscuit: "Yes, my brother is defective."

The friend says, "Did you just say "Your brother is defective?"

Triscuit: *with a smile* "Yes."

Trying NOT to laugh, I say: "Triscuit! That's not nice! Why would you say that?"

No answer comes from Triscuit....just an ornery smile.

Saturday comes around and we are out and about doing errands. We have to go to my husbands work to scan and e-mail Triscuit's work samples for November (requirement for AZVA). We decide to go eat at Taco Smell (Bell) before we start slashing away at the errand list. While at Taco Smell, Weenie and I start discussing the trip we have planned for Disneyland Halloween 2009. During a pause in the conversation, we hear:

Triscuit: "Roller coasters SUCK!"

I look at Weenie and he's looking at me....he's trying not to spit his Enchirito out all over the place. Then, he points...TO ME.

I have to admit, my personality is very, VERY dry and sarcastic (in case you haven't noticed). When I hear something that I don't like, I will often say, "Well.....THAT sucks!" Yes...I am to blame for that one.

We try and explain to Triscuit that roller coasters do NOT suck. They can be scary, but it's a fun scary (especially at Disneyland).

Triscuit: "Well, I don't want to go on the crappy roller coasters!"

*SIGH*.....I'm thinking, "OH CRAP! He got that from me, too!"

Weenie is giving me this "look" as if to say, "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

And, he's right.

After the majority of our errands are complete, we are at Wal-Fart looking at different Christmas decorations (Christmas will be hosted at OUR house this year. Last year's Christmas was a very difficult one. In a way, I KNEW it would be our last one with my Grandmother. Since this year will be the first WITHOUT my Grandmother, I'm trying to make it as happy as possible for everyone). While in the Christmas section, Triscuit says:

Triscuit: "Are your parental units coming down for Christmas?"

I'm thinking, "WHAT?" Then I remember....oh yeah, I use that expression too.

You don't realize just WHAT you say until your children repeat it BACK to you.

I got THIS message from Weenie yesterday:

Message received....LOUD AND CLEAR!

2 comments:

dani7girl said...

I'll comment when I stop laughing....but it may be awhile!!!!

Ditsy Chick said...

Yup, it just isn't pretty when you hear your own words echoed back to you from your kids. I haven't taught them the really bad ones, but, hell, damn and crap...guilty as charged.