Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sulfa Allergy....WHO KNEW???

The doctors office AND pharmacy confirmed it....I have a sulfa allergy! The toxins have now settled in my joints. They are hot, swollen and hivey. It's been since Thursday that I've been dealing with this, and I'm about to climb a wall!!! Weenie has threatened to duct tape oven mitts to my hands to keep me from scratching. It was meant as a joke, but because I'm so cranky I snapped his head off. *sigh*.... I'm SO glad he is a patient and understanding man. I am now on a NEW antibiotic to combat the ear infection that the Bactrim DS never touched. I'm a little apprehensive to start it. Do you blame me?

I wanted to warn you all on something. Did you know that it's possible to overdose on Benadryl? Yeah....I didn't know that UNTIL I actually did it. I now know what it feels like to have a full blown anxiety attack. Poor Weenie, he looked like a deer in the headlights. He didn't know WHAT to do with me!

On a positive note, Triscuit and Toblerone are doing MUCH better. They both have nasty coughs, but other than that, they are back to their NORMAL level of orneriness! THANK GOD!!! I SHOULD be back to normal this week, so I will be able to do blog upkeep. I have a LOT to update you on! Triscuit was in rare form this week when he was sick and Toblerone has begun to REALLY start talking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! my daughter was taking Bactrim DS for her 2nd MRSA infection and we found out she is allergic to it too! She had hives for 2 weeks, then her face/head swelled and got all blotchy and rashy, started oozing, peeling. What did your Dr. say about the affects on your body of this sulfa allergy?

Mum of Two said...

Anonymous...I wish I had an e-mail address to answer you...but I will do it on here.

They just told me to make SURE I tell each and every doctor I ever see that I have an allergy to Sulfa drugs. Apparently, if you take it again (or take something else with sulfa in it), the reaction gets worse every time. As for lasting effects? They told me that there shouldn't be any long term issues/problems. Just to avoid the drugs with sulfa in it at ALL COSTS.