Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Vitamin Fiasco

My Dad just e-mailed me this (oh...and this is a response to the "Triscuit's Personality Test" post):

"You said that you had a lot of Triscuit's personality traits (I said I DIDN'T). How about sneaky (vitamins), drama-queen (arm over the forehead with head tilted back)? I am sure I can think of others."

So...yes. I've been called out. As an adult, you forget about the stupid things you did as a kid...HOWEVER, YOUR PARENTS DO NOT!!!!

The "sneaky" thing my Dad is talking about is this. When I was about Triscuit's age (maybe a little older), I HATED taking vitamins. If the vitamins were "Flinstone" vitamins or something along THAT line, it wouldn't have been so bad...but NOOOO! My Mother, who LOVED to get icky yucky crap from the health food stores, used to get these NASTY vitamins that smelled (and I imagine, tasted) like horse food. I STILL remember the consistency in my mouth! Gritty and chalky! I hated them SO much! One day, after my Mom had slipped me the nasty thing, I went up to my room to play. I couldn't bring myself to chew it, let alone swallow it, so I took it out of my mouth and placed it UNDER the blanket of my baby doll cradle (which, my Dad had built out of cardboard and painted red...I loved that thing). I'm sure I was thinking, "COOL! I got away with it!". Every time my Mom would give me that nasty disk of blech, I would do the SAME thing...run upstairs, take it out of my mouth and put it UNDER the baby doll blanket. After a few weeks of this, my room began to smell a little funky. Because I was little, I didn't put two and two together...."spit + vitamin = vitamin goo". As time went on, the smell got worse and worse. Finally, I couldn't handle the guilt anymore. I finally went to my Mom (I think I went to her first) and told her what I had been doing. I remember her getting REALLY mad! I also remember her saying, "I WONDERED why it smelled so bad in here!" Um...Gee Mom, don't you think if it SMELLS bad that it would TASTE BAD TOO!!!!


To this day, everytime I walk into a health food store, the smell reminds me of the vitamin fiasco!

No comments: