Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Non-Verbal Communication

Since Toblerone was small, I have been working on sign language with him. We learned with Triscuit that sign language REALLY helped with frustration levels. The only DOWN side to that is it seems to prolong the act of speaking. Triscuit didn't speak until he was 4. He understood what you were talking about and followed instructions well, but actually speaking words was a no-go. With Toblerone, we are running into the same situation. From what I remember with Triscuit, the doctor said there was nothing to worry about. Apparently, with boys, language is usually the LAST thing they master (I could be really sarcastic and make a comment right now, but I will refrain). We try, non the less, to get Toblerone to SPEAK.

The first sign that Toblerone learned was "More". Here is what it looks like:



The next sign he learned was "eat". Here is what IT looks like:


Given he's a boy (I swear God made boys with bottomless pits for stomachs or hollow legs to fill) and built like a quarterback, I see these two signs CONSTANTLY. From the time he wakes up in the morning until the time he goes to sleep at night. "MORE EAT, MORE EAT". Now that we are focusing more on VERBAL communication skills, we are TRYING to get him to say the words along with signing them. I will do the best I can in trying to convey how you THINK it would sound...but I hear, "Mur Ee" "Mur Ee". He seems to forget the ending of the word. Along with getting him to speak, we are trying to teach manners. So...after a request for "Mo Ea", we sign "Please". Please is SUPPOSED to look like this:

The hand on the chest is SUPPOSED to go in a circular motion, but Toblerone beats his chest like Tarzan. When he wants something REALLY REALLY bad, you hear "Thwap, thwap, thwap, thwap...", coming from behind you along with an inflective and enthusiastic grunt (sometimes accompanied by a courtesy point). Yeah...it's quite comical to experience. Most people look at him like he's a little "off", but he's just very animated.

I'm still teaching him sign language. I would rather him know sign language AND learn to speak at the same time. It may give him an edge later in life. Currently, we are working on more intricate words. I'm trying to teach him the alphabet, but he still has problems controlling his fingers. I'm just hoping I don't see this one of these days:

Yeah...I can imagine trying to explain THAT one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My lil Toblerone is going to end up speaking in complete sentences when he feels its time so Miss Mum you better be ready!!!!

Anonymous said...

woo hoo! This is super duper neat!!